Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Does a wisteria vine kill a tree?

We bought a house in Decenber and in the front yard is a hugh white oak tree that is about 4-5 foot in diameter. The wisteria vine is about 2 ft in diameter at the base. I noticed there are several limbs that are broken off way up in the tree. My husband wants to cut the wisteria cause he says it's killing the tree. The wisteria is beautiful and adds lots of color to the yard and I don't want to cut it but if it's killing that beautiful tree, the vine needs to go. Does anyone know of a website I can go to for information about wisterias?

Does a wisteria vine kill a tree?
Sometimes you see in garden magazines, not to plant wisterias on trees, and I'm sure its because they can strangle them if wrapped round too tight.





Wisterias are tough if you chop it off at the base I'm sure it would grow shoots and you could redirect them onto some type of pergola. As your wisteria has such large root at this stage it should regrow quite quickly.
Reply:I don't know of website other than pick a good gardening magazine's site, However I do know that it is the weight of the wisteria that breaks branches, so pruning it and pruning it hard (it is recommended) will let you have the best of both. Enjoy your new yard and home


No comments:

Post a Comment