Tuesday, April 28, 2009

How to care for my new Wisteria?

I just bought a Wisteria which I woulld prefer to grow in a pot for the time being and maybe even for a year or two. It is about 6 feet tall at the moment and in bloom. Should I repot it? The pot I purchased it in is about 9" across and 10" tall.





It is supported by bamboo at the moment -do I need further support yet?





How much do I water and do I feed it?





I have heard that if you are not careful, it will not always bloom. When is the blooming season?





Thanks for any info!

How to care for my new Wisteria?
You can keep wisteria pruned to a size suitable for a shrub and so keep it in a pot on a permanent basis but you're going to need to put it in a bigger pot than it's in now. I would suggest a pot at least 60cm wide if you're keeping it as a small/medium sized shrub. If you want to grow it as a climber you're going to have to have a much bigger pot than that and I think you'll struggle to keep it going long term as a climber in a pot because, left to their own devices, wisterias can become enormous, covering the whole of the front of a house over a period of years. If that is what you're intending to do, there isn't going to be a pot big enough. In the UK it should be flowering any time now. It will only flower once a year. It's an outdoor plant and isn't suitable for keeping indoors for any length of time.





You'll notice that from now onwards it will produce long whippy stems. Unless you want to keep them to form part of the structure of the plant, cut them down to about 30cm in length in July. Next February reduce them again to around 2 or 3 buds from where they originated on the plant.





Encourage it to flower by giving regular food from April to August. I give mine slow release food in April and then occasional feeds of liquid seaweed and general purpose food (such as MiracleGro) every three or four weeks throughout the summer.





It will need a considerable amount of water; don't let it dry out in the summer or it will lose its leaves very quickly.
Reply:you defiantly need a larger pot. i found out i had to abuse the roots once in a while to keep it blooming out side. in the house? sun sun sun!!! humidifier.sit it in a saucer of stones with water. it will bloom every three months in the house. water when dry.follow the directions on fertilizer container .


No comments:

Post a Comment