Monday, November 16, 2009

I planted a wisteria 4yrs ago, please help me get it to flower. I have been feeding it regularily.?

Wisteria is really a weed. Too much nitrogen, too early in the spring will stimulate leaf growth, rather than flowering. Get a fertilizer made for bloom stimulation.

I planted a wisteria 4yrs ago, please help me get it to flower. I have been feeding it regularily.?
You can try a high phosphorus fertilizer mixed into the top 3-4 inches of the soil. Any fertilizer that contains nitrogen will indeed cause alot of foliage growth.
Reply:Wisterias are notoriously slow to establish. We usually tell customers that they most likely will not see blooms for the first five years. Maybe a few more if the plant was very young.





One thing you can do is to stop feeding it. A well-fed wisteria is a wisteria with lots of lush foliage and no flowers. You almost want to stress it a little.





They also seem to bloom well whent their roots are confined (like planted between a driveway and a sidewalk). Same with the feeding. - if you keep them too happy, they take it easy, and just make leaves...


No comments:

Post a Comment