Monday, November 16, 2009

Withering Wisteria?

I have two wisteria outside. They are growing up a pergola. Last week the leaves started curling on one of them. They both appear to recieve the same amount water. The leaves on the one are kinda crunchy now. What could be wrong and is there a fix for it?

Withering Wisteria?
I had this problem with my wisteria too. The main stem on mine had cracked open because of years of severe winter weather (ice storms). I asked at the nursery if there was anything I could do. They told me either to cut it down completely or cut it back past the crack and wait and see if it grows back. They told me on these type vines, once the leaves start going there's not to much you can do. Have you had a really hot, dry summer? I would try some extra water first, then if that doesn't work, I would cut it back. I just can't completely give up on something until I know for a fact it is beyond help...Nothing like a bleedin' heart gardener! Good Luck with your wisteria! :) If you would like another vine for your pergola, try the cypress vine. It has beautiful red blooms and attracts hummingbirds. It has a feathery leaf that I have found more attractive and less intrusive than it's brother, the cardinal vine. If you would like some seeds for next season, let me know!


1 comment: