Saturday, November 14, 2009

Planting a wisteria vine?

Down the road there is a forest with wisteria growing off it. i was wondering how I would plant some from this into my own garden? Can I take the blossoms and plant them, would I have to dry them out before I plant it? What would I do after I plant it? I really want to enjoy these flowers outside of my home, but i don't know a thing about them, if you could help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Planting a wisteria vine?
Wisteria can be propagated from short cuttings of the green stems. Cut off some fresh green shoots about 6 inches long or so, and put them in a pot of moist peat covered with a plastic bag. They should develop roots after several weeks.





Easier might be to check around the plants and see if there are any small seedlings growing there. You could dig one up (provided it is not a protected area).





Wisteria sometimes take several years to start flowering, and they can become very invasive and weedy.
Reply:Wisteria is a beautiful plant though a word of warning. It can be very vigorous. You need to keep it in line by pruing it each year when dormant. Yes it will go dormant - it is a deciduous plant. (loses its leaves in winter). You could try taking a cutting of the plant, dipping it in hormone powder and try to get a new plant that way.... or buy one from a nursery. Wisterias arent that expensive and if kept in line are a very beautiful plant. There is another wisteria which isnt as vigorous with longer flowering time. Its called a Wisteria 'Amethyst Falls" . Not available everywhere (but I can get you a plant if you want one). Do a check on line about the plant, it might be a better option.


Hope this helps.


Maz (Mazscapes Nursery, Morwell)


No comments:

Post a Comment